Flavorsome Picnic Bread (From SA)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (not soda)
- 1 cup chopped spring onion
- 3 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lb fairly lean bacon, chopped into smallish pieces (2 packets)
- 8 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- fresh coarse ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Set oven on 350 deg F.
- Grease well 2 fairly small bread tins.
- Mix all the ingredients except the buttermilk. DO NOT fry the bacon: it goes in raw, chopped: it cooks in the baking process and adds to the flavor.
- Add JUST enough buttermilk to make a soft, almost sticky dough, as for scones. You may not even need the buttermilk, as the consistency will also depend on the size of the eggs used.
- Divide batter between the 2 tins.
- Bake about 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a rack.
- It’s going to be difficult to guess the servings, as the bread is rich and filling. When cool, wrap in foil and keep at room temperature or in fridge overnight (assuming you’re going to use it on a trip of for school the next day).
- It freezes well. Try It